Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS instllation from Mac os utility is failing

I wanted to reinstall mac os. So I have used the mac os utility to do that. I have erased the disk and tried to install it from mac os utility. The dowloading of the installer is failing with alert 'Downloading of installer has failed to the volume'. Requst you to kindly suggest a solution.

I have time machine backup in a hard drive, but I don't know the reason why it is not showing up when I connected the hard drive to restore.

Is there any other way that I can resolve the issue and clean install the operating system.

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 10, 2020 8:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2020 8:17 PM

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

If possible, back up your files before proceeding.

You will need a fast, working Internet connection, preferably, Ethernet. If you must use Wi-Fi, you will be asked to select your network and enter the network password. This procedure will install the current version of macOS that is compatible with your model.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the (Command-Option-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size) from the Device list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs, only if installing Mojave or Catalina ) or Mac OS Extended, (Journaled.)
  8. Provide a volume name, usually "Macintosh HD."
  9. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  10. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  11. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2020 8:17 PM in response to sairamchv

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

If possible, back up your files before proceeding.

You will need a fast, working Internet connection, preferably, Ethernet. If you must use Wi-Fi, you will be asked to select your network and enter the network password. This procedure will install the current version of macOS that is compatible with your model.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the (Command-Option-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size) from the Device list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs, only if installing Mojave or Catalina ) or Mac OS Extended, (Journaled.)
  8. Provide a volume name, usually "Macintosh HD."
  9. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  10. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  11. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Mac OS instllation from Mac os utility is failing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.