Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malfunctioning Mac

I recently erased my MacBook because Safari was acting strangely and my desktop folders would lock up. Backed everything up on my external drive, but when I restarted my Mac and tried to restore the system with my time machine backup from the OS X Utilities window, it shows up saying that no time machine backups were found. If I try to reinstall a new copy of OS X from the utilities window, it will only allow me to install it on my external drive. What's wrong??

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Aug 7, 2019 12:42 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 7, 2019 1:32 PM in response to JP2_Cool

While booted into the Recovery Partition, does the computer hard drive show? When you erased the drive, did you reformat it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with option GUID?

Try booting into Internet Recovery (command - option/alt - R on a restart). It is a slow process. This will install the newest OS that the computer is compatible with. Reformat the drive using Disk Utility/Erase Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then click the Option button and select GUID. Quit Disk Utility. Then install the OS. When the computer restarts, you can use Setup Assistant to restore your data from Time Machine.

OS X Recovery

OS X Recovery (2)

Malfunctioning Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.