Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Sharing vs Remote Management

Hi,

I see this question was answered several years ago. I would like to see if things have changed today.

I would like to control a remote Mac with a local Mac. I would think Screen Sharing is the answer, but I found Remote Management Selected on a new Mac.

Screen Sharing works fine. Remote Management not yet, and I should find how to use it. However, I wonder if Screen Sharing is all I need for what I want to do, and I could simply deselect Remote Management and just ignore it.

Paolo

Mac Pro

Posted on Aug 29, 2020 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2020 11:41 AM

Hey Paolo,

We understand you would like to remotely control a Mac with another Mac and weighing your options on the best way to do that. You can read more about remote management, which is apart of Remote Desktop with the following articles below:

Enable remote management for Remote Desktop

Manage computers with Remote Desktop

Apple Remote Desktop User Guide

Here is information about screen sharing as well:

Ways to share your screen, files, and more with other users on your network

Screen sharing overview

Check out the information specifically from the last article provided:

"You can use screen sharing to access your Mac while you’re away, solve a problem on someone else’s Mac, or collaborate with others on a project such as a website or presentation.

If you use iCloud, you can use Back to My Mac to share the screen of a Mac on a remote network.

For additional remote management capabilities, such as installing and configuring apps, helping remote users, and creating detailed reports, you can purchase Apple Remote Desktop from the App Store. Apple Remote Desktop is used to remotely manage Mac computers in a commercial or business environment."

We hope that information helps. Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2020 11:41 AM in response to PaoloT.

Hey Paolo,

We understand you would like to remotely control a Mac with another Mac and weighing your options on the best way to do that. You can read more about remote management, which is apart of Remote Desktop with the following articles below:

Enable remote management for Remote Desktop

Manage computers with Remote Desktop

Apple Remote Desktop User Guide

Here is information about screen sharing as well:

Ways to share your screen, files, and more with other users on your network

Screen sharing overview

Check out the information specifically from the last article provided:

"You can use screen sharing to access your Mac while you’re away, solve a problem on someone else’s Mac, or collaborate with others on a project such as a website or presentation.

If you use iCloud, you can use Back to My Mac to share the screen of a Mac on a remote network.

For additional remote management capabilities, such as installing and configuring apps, helping remote users, and creating detailed reports, you can purchase Apple Remote Desktop from the App Store. Apple Remote Desktop is used to remotely manage Mac computers in a commercial or business environment."

We hope that information helps. Take care.

Screen Sharing vs Remote Management

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.