Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I upload a photos library from an external hard drive to icloud?

How do I upload a photos library from an external hard drive to icloud? I have been using an external drive for years and now it is time to get it up on icloud. It doesn't seem to be uploading

Posted on Aug 29, 2020 5:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2020 6:11 PM

It needs to be designated as the system photo library: Designate a System Photo Library in Photos - Apple Support

and you need to have iCloud Photos turned on: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

The initial upload can take a significant amount of time. You can see the status by opening the Photos app, click Photos at the top of the Library section of the sidebar and then scroll to the bottom of the main window.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2020 6:11 PM in response to tdevlin

It needs to be designated as the system photo library: Designate a System Photo Library in Photos - Apple Support

and you need to have iCloud Photos turned on: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

The initial upload can take a significant amount of time. You can see the status by opening the Photos app, click Photos at the top of the Library section of the sidebar and then scroll to the bottom of the main window.

How do I upload a photos library from an external hard drive to icloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.