Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i move photos on a external drive into iCloud photos

I have my photos on an external drive and I want them to go up to the iCloud. I have a number of libraries and I want them all to go to iCloud photos. Im on a iMac.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 7:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 8:06 PM

Open your library in Photos.

Set the library as the system library (Photos > preferences > general) -- you can only designate one system library

Enable iCloud Photos (Photos > preferences > iCloud)

7 replies

Jan 12, 2022 11:52 PM in response to Looe

First back up your libraries as they now are.

Start with the smallest library. Set that as the system library, and set icloud preferences (as shown above).

WAIT - until that library has synced. Depending on the size of your library that can take days or even weeks. My 50GB 5000 item library took 48 hours. Leave your mac on 24/7, connected to power, with sleep disabled and the photos app open. The sync status at the bottom of the all photos view will give you an idea of what is going on - but it is normal for that not to change for long periods of time.

When that library has synced repeat with the next largest library and so on.

Note - each library will get bigger as it gets merged. (Photos will be both in iCloud AND in the currently syncing library). Depending on the size of your libraries you are syncing, you may need to move already synced libraries to an external drive so as not to fill your hard drive. See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Obviously you will need enough iCloud space for all your libraries.

Dec 29, 2021 11:55 PM in response to Looe

Do you only have iPhone photos in your system library?

Photos on your mac in any other library won't upload.

If you have photos in your system library that are not from your phone, and they are not appearing in iCloud first check photos preferences again.

Is the circled button greyed out? If not, click it. Also make sure you have "copy items to library" selected:

Then check the iCloud tab, does it look like this?

how do i move photos on a external drive into iCloud photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.