Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 iMac and 2020 MacBook Air

Can these two share a display using a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2. If so why is mine not working? I have tried adjusting the commands (Command F2 as well as Command fn F2), restarting the computer (both the macbook and the imac) and even different cables that don't require an adapter. What am I doing wrong? This is stressing me out.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 30, 2020 7:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2020 8:17 PM

No.

Your iMac meets the requirements, but your MacBook Air 2020 does not.

Per Apple: You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier for use as an external display.  ... Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier on the iMac used as the external display.

From: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

ps: Cat6 Ethernet cables are irrelevant here; conflating the display connection here with point-to-point networking. GbE also doesn’t need cross-over cables, as it’ll auto-sense. But this isn’t a networking question.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2020 8:17 PM in response to TimWill518

No.

Your iMac meets the requirements, but your MacBook Air 2020 does not.

Per Apple: You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier for use as an external display.  ... Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier on the iMac used as the external display.

From: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

ps: Cat6 Ethernet cables are irrelevant here; conflating the display connection here with point-to-point networking. GbE also doesn’t need cross-over cables, as it’ll auto-sense. But this isn’t a networking question.

Aug 30, 2020 7:56 PM in response to TimWill518

TimWill518 Said:

"2011 iMac and 2020 MacBook Air Can these two share a display using a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2. If so why is mine not working? I have tried adjusting the commands (Command F2 as well as Command fn F2), restarting the computer (both the macbook and the imac) and even different cables that don't require an adapter. What am I doing wrong? This is stressing me out."

-------

CAT6 Crossover Cable:

Due to compatibility, no. But as an alternative, you might be able to use a CAT6 Crossover Cable. Seems it would work, being intended for such direct connections. I've never tried it, as such configurations, as I don't have those Macs.

2011 iMac and 2020 MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.