Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 27inch Mid 2011iMac which I need to connect to my MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021). I have tried so many cables and adaptor to connect the two and it is just not working. The iMac connects to my old Macbook via a thunderbolt 2 cable

I have a 27inch Mid 2011iMac which I need to connect to my MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021). I have tried so many cables and adaptor to connect the two and it is just not working. The iMac connects to my old Macbook via a thunderbolt 2 cable.

What can I do so that I can use my iMac as a second display. The thunderbold 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor (it is original) does not work either.

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 2:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 3:15 PM

Hello!

Unfortunately, you cannot use your iMac as a display for your MacBook Pro.

Learn why here:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support.

iMac models introduced in 2011, 2012, 2013, and mid 2014
To use any of these iMac models as an external display:
The iMac used as a display must have macOS High Sierra or earlier installed.
The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.
The cable connecting the two Mac computers must be a Thunderbolt  or Thunderbolt 2  cable.

Your MacBook Pro was introduced in 2021, and is running macOS Monterey.

Jack

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2022 3:15 PM in response to IMAC--------------------------

Hello!

Unfortunately, you cannot use your iMac as a display for your MacBook Pro.

Learn why here:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support.

iMac models introduced in 2011, 2012, 2013, and mid 2014
To use any of these iMac models as an external display:
The iMac used as a display must have macOS High Sierra or earlier installed.
The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.
The cable connecting the two Mac computers must be a Thunderbolt  or Thunderbolt 2  cable.

Your MacBook Pro was introduced in 2021, and is running macOS Monterey.

Jack

I have a 27inch Mid 2011iMac which I need to connect to my MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021). I have tried so many cables and adaptor to connect the two and it is just not working. The iMac connects to my old Macbook via a thunderbolt 2 cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.