Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot change keychain password

I am trying to separate my keychain access password from my login password. I tried the security set-keychain pw cmd in terminal and the following error appeared: security: error changing password for "<NULL>": A default keychain could not be found. Not sure how to proceed as google hasn't found me a solution yet.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 30, 2020 11:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 8:41 PM

Gotcha. Well I suppose you could allow use of the Guest user, or even create a new user for your friend to use, without giving administrator privileges, or your admin password, this way they can still login but couldn’t make any changes that requires your admin password. I still wouldn’t recommend attempting to separate the two passwords though, there’s plenty of security restrictions you can put in place to prevent anyone using your Mac from seeing any of your passwords built in to the OS though, I can suggest a few, anyhow hope that helps!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2020 8:41 PM in response to Bul1700

Gotcha. Well I suppose you could allow use of the Guest user, or even create a new user for your friend to use, without giving administrator privileges, or your admin password, this way they can still login but couldn’t make any changes that requires your admin password. I still wouldn’t recommend attempting to separate the two passwords though, there’s plenty of security restrictions you can put in place to prevent anyone using your Mac from seeing any of your passwords built in to the OS though, I can suggest a few, anyhow hope that helps!

Aug 30, 2020 11:21 PM in response to Bul1700

Hey there! Good question, this article may help:

https://support.apple.com/guide/keychain-access/if-you-need-to-update-your-keychain-password-kyca2429/mac

The admin password, is, by default the same as the keychain password, as said in the article, if you change your admin password, the keychain password is changed to match it.

They’re supposed to match up, otherwise you’d have a whole lot of authentication issues and non stop pop ups asking for your keychain password.

Is there a reason you’re trying to separate the two?

Cannot change keychain password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.