Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing Photos Ends With The Picture Missing

Every time I edit a photo now in the photos app, it ends up becoming a grey square and the photo is gone. It is true for the thumbnail in the library and when I click to make it larger.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 5:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 12:14 PM

Guaranteed by whom? If it was installed 10 years ago it was under a much more tolerant system. With Mojave and Catalina the tolerance has tightened up considerable. I'd remove the 3rd party and check to see if the crashes stop.

12 replies

Sep 2, 2020 9:44 AM in response to gdub04

Try the following and report back:

1 - As a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library.  Import some RAW photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it? (This tells us if the problem is limited to your current library or is more wide spread). Then test again in your current library.

2 - Log into another admin user account, Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac and repeat #1 to see if the problem persists. (This tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide).

3 - lastly boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and test in your primary library.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

Aug 31, 2020 8:05 AM in response to gdub04

How are you editing? With the adjustments in Photos or with a third-party photo editing extension?

Where is your Photos Library stored? On an external volume or in your Pictures folder?

Do you have plenty of free storage on your Mac and in iCloud?

One more thing - after the Catalina upgrade some older image formats are no longer supported. What is the format of your images you are trying to edit? Are it JPEGs or HEIC files, or another format?

Sep 7, 2020 11:38 AM in response to Old Toad

I finally got around to testing. I got a test library and imported about 100 RAW photos. There were no issues with editing whatsoever. The app did crash at one point during the import.

I'm on a 2012 15" MBP so I'm wondering if age has something to do with it. Also, I'm getting panic crashes in regards to the RAM. I did a 3rd party install (a friend of mine who is a genius installed) extra ram ages ago and perhaps that is causing all of these issues.

Sep 7, 2020 11:51 AM in response to gdub04

Macs are very picky about RAM, even more so with the newer systems. Pull out the 3rd party RAM and run only on the original Apple RAM. If that solves the crashing problem replace the RAM modules with some from either MacSales.com or Crucial.com. They guarantee their modules to work in the Macs they were designed for.

Sep 8, 2020 6:27 AM in response to Old Toad

Crucial - the brand I bought. That makes sense as the crashes only really happened in the last 2-3 years and are getting more frequent. If I even have that RAM it is in a different country so it isn't even possible to check. I'll just hold out until I return to the States to replace the entire computer, it is time anyways. Thanks for your help!

Editing Photos Ends With The Picture Missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.