Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error: RenderFrameAt returned: 4 for absolute frame: 6971

what does this error mean in imovie? i'm trying to save a video I made to my macbook

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 9:47 AM

I am not sure, but I think that the error means that the transaction timed out due to some incompatibility or corruption in the project.

You didn't mention, but your profile data indicates that you are using Mojavi. If you haven't already done so, update your iMovie to 10.1.14 so that you have the highest version that Mojavi will run. You don't want iMovie 10.1.15, that I think will only run on Catalina anyway.

To rule out corruption related to this specific project, try doing an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy, of the media in the project, and then Edit/Paste the media into a newly created project. See if you can share from the new project.

Also, possibly you have some incompatible format in one of your clips, or a corruption in a clip. Check the formats of the clips. iMovie likes Mp4/AAC or .mov. You can track down corruption in a clip by expanding your timeline with the slider located at the upper right of the time line, and then slowly scrolling through the project, looking for black frames, white flashes, artifacts, and any other signs of corruption. Cut out any that you find and see if you can share out.

To rule out a corrupt preference, try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if you can share out.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2020 9:47 AM in response to abg240

I am not sure, but I think that the error means that the transaction timed out due to some incompatibility or corruption in the project.

You didn't mention, but your profile data indicates that you are using Mojavi. If you haven't already done so, update your iMovie to 10.1.14 so that you have the highest version that Mojavi will run. You don't want iMovie 10.1.15, that I think will only run on Catalina anyway.

To rule out corruption related to this specific project, try doing an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy, of the media in the project, and then Edit/Paste the media into a newly created project. See if you can share from the new project.

Also, possibly you have some incompatible format in one of your clips, or a corruption in a clip. Check the formats of the clips. iMovie likes Mp4/AAC or .mov. You can track down corruption in a clip by expanding your timeline with the slider located at the upper right of the time line, and then slowly scrolling through the project, looking for black frames, white flashes, artifacts, and any other signs of corruption. Cut out any that you find and see if you can share out.

To rule out a corrupt preference, try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if you can share out.

-- Rich

Error: RenderFrameAt returned: 4 for absolute frame: 6971

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.