Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Late 2011 Lower 'p' key not working

Lower 'p' key stops working on Macbook pro late 2011 (Sierra). The issue started to occur when Macbook was turned on from sleep mode. Somehow the issue was fixed when i recreated the same scenario(put it to sleep then turned it back on) but now again i am facing the same issue. Upper  ‘P' works with caps on but even for that you have to press caps several times to turn it on.

Seems like software issue because it gets fixed sometimes but would like to hear from the people who have had the similar issue and somehow got it fixed without replacing the keyboard ?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 1:34 PM

ahmar240 wrote:

Seems like software issue because it gets fixed sometimes but would like to hear from the people who have had the similar issue and somehow got it fixed without replacing the keyboard ?

Seems like a hardware problem to me I'm afraid. Reboot holding down Command-R to go into recovery mode. Now test the 'p' key. If that still fails it's very likely to have a keyboard failure. If it works, it could be a software issue.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2020 1:34 PM in response to ahmar240

ahmar240 wrote:

Seems like a hardware problem to me I'm afraid. Reboot holding down Command-R to go into recovery mode. Now test the 'p' key. If that still fails it's very likely to have a keyboard failure. If it works, it could be a software issue.

Sep 2, 2020 4:52 PM in response to The_Knowledge_Seeker

Yes i did. It was not working in recovery mode as well. However, i reverse engineered by putting it to sleep for couple of hours and then waking it up and it started to work again, updated to High Sierra and its working fine as of now. I started to experience the issue after waking up the Macbook from sleep mode and got it fixed by repeating the same process.

When the ISSUE OCCURS , you have to press caps lock key couple of times to make it work and when you press lower 'p' key, it types other keys like volume down i think or mute, 0 etc. Upper key works once the caps key is on after pressing it for couple of times.

Strange

Sep 24, 2020 12:39 PM in response to ahmar240

Update : The issue is resolved since the last couple of days or maybe more than a week. Lower 'p' key is working fine now even after you wake up the Macbook from sleep mode.

I upgraded the OS & Reset the NVRAM or PRAM after which the issue was fixed. Also i upgraded the RAM later on as the mac got slower down after the upgrade.

Macbook Late 2011 Lower 'p' key not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.