Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble downgrading from Catalina

I'm trying to downgrade a computer from Catalina to it's original OS, Sierra, because Catalina made my work impossible. However when I go through MacOS Recovery, Mac HD - Data is available but Mac HD is unselectable and when I click it it says "You can't upgrade this version of macOS because a newer version is installed. That is precisely the problem. I'm trying to downgrade from Catalina. What gives? How do I get out of this Catalina **** and back to an OS that is compatible with my hardware?

iMac Pro

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply
3 replies

Aug 31, 2020 1:45 PM in response to MateoInBaja

Downgrading macOS is quite a challenge as there's no downgrade 'path'. i.e. you can't convert macOS to a lower version.

When you upgrade, some data files are updated to work with it so when you downgrade, those data files might not work. I think eMail and Photos are examples.

Downgrading involves backing up your Mac to Time Machine, erasing the internal drive, reinstall the macOS you want and migrating your data back from your backup. With the caveat mentioned above that some data may not work with it.

Trouble downgrading from Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.