Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring a backup file to a new iphone

Hello,

I am trying to restore my backup from an iphone 6S to a newly acquired iphone XR. It keeps asking me a backup password on itunes whoich I don't have. I tried my phone's 6 digit passcode and Itunes password and none of them work. Any help you can offer is appreciated.

iPhone 6s, 11

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 3:03 PM

It sounds like at some point you encrypted your iTunes backups. Without the password there is no way that you can recover the backup. Try different passwords that you may have used in the past. If you still have your iPhone 6S you can run an iCloud backup and use that to restore to the new iPhone.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2020 3:03 PM in response to TRVen

It sounds like at some point you encrypted your iTunes backups. Without the password there is no way that you can recover the backup. Try different passwords that you may have used in the past. If you still have your iPhone 6S you can run an iCloud backup and use that to restore to the new iPhone.

Restoring a backup file to a new iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.