Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I Movie 11

After I have created an I movie project and shared with I tunes How can I send a copy of the movie to a friend?

Can it be copied to a flash drive?

What is the best way to transfer IMovie projects from my older IMac to my newer IMac?

How to best retain highest resolution?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 11:20 AM

Share the movie to your desktop. From there you can drag it into your thumb drive that is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

If dragging is not working then probably you don't have enough space on your drive.

-- Rich

8 replies

Sep 1, 2020 10:26 AM in response to Ralph Esposito

Hello Ralph,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

From reading your post, it appears you are inquiring about how to share iMovie projects you have created, correct? We're here to help you take a look into that!

Here are a couple articles to follow with steps to help resolve this issue:

If you can't share iMovie videos to iTunes

Move iMovie Theater content to iCloud Photos

Hopefully this helps!

Sep 1, 2020 11:34 AM in response to Ralph Esposito

What version of iMovie are you using? iMovie '11 (with an apostrophe) is iMovie 9. There is no iMovie 11 (without apostrophe). Possibly did you mean to say iMovie 10, that is the most current version?

You can send a copy to a friend of a standalone iMovie video that you have shared out. Drag it to a thumb flash drive that is formatted ExFat in case your friend has a windows computer. If he/she has a Mac then format it Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or ExFat. Then give the thumb drive to your friend to play on his Mac.

If the movie is not too large (under 5 GB) you can email it with the free iCloud Email account that you can set up on your computer.

Assuming that you are using iMovie 10, for the transfer of still editable iMovie projects (as opposed to the standalone movie) between Macs you need to transfer the iMovie library that contains the project. Put a copy of the library on an external drive or thumb drive that is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and then transfer the drive from one Mac to another. The resolution will preserved. If your projects are still in iMovie 9, you can open iMovie 10 on your Mac and do an Edit/Update Projects and Events, that will create the projects in the iMovie 10 library. Then follow the above transfer procedure.

Here's a link to a help tutorial that explains how to transfer libraries and projects:

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov3fa25bae7

-- Rich

I Movie 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.