Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to trade in an iPhone XS Max and get a refurbished one?

i bought an iPhone XS Max from a friend, they’ve had it for 2yrs. Is there a way to trade it in and get a refurbished XS Max, how much is the fee if the warranty ended ?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 6:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 7:03 PM

First, you or your friend needs to remove the Activation Lock (if enabled). See the "Remove your personal information from your old device" section in:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If (and only if) you can do that, then you can trade it in for a store credit toward another iPhone:

Apple Trade In - Apple

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2020 7:03 PM in response to Squadx_2121

First, you or your friend needs to remove the Activation Lock (if enabled). See the "Remove your personal information from your old device" section in:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If (and only if) you can do that, then you can trade it in for a store credit toward another iPhone:

Apple Trade In - Apple

Aug 31, 2020 6:57 PM in response to Squadx_2121

You can get up to $450 in trade-in value from Apple for your XS Max. (The fact that your friend owned it before you won't matter and no proof of purchase is required. It's the condition of the device and the other factors that Apple (or any company offering a trade-in program) considers that impact the value. As noted in the link, If you’re ready at the time of trade-in to buy a new Apple product online (apple.com or the Apple Store app), you can trade in an old device and get credit toward your purchase, right then and there. If you’re not ready to make a purchase, you can trade in your old device online for an Apple Gift Card by email that you can apply to any future Apple purchase. If you go the Apple gift card route, you can opt to spend that card at Apple however you wish, including on a refurbished iPhone XS Max.

I'm not sure I understood your question about the fee the warranty ended. As far as I am aware, the above-described transactions are unaffected by whether the warranty is still in place or not.

Happy transacting!

JDee

Is there a way to trade in an iPhone XS Max and get a refurbished one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.