Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid-2009 MacBook won't eject disk

Hello,

I own a Mid-2009 White MacBook. I recently put a movie disk in it and when I went to eject it it came out slightly and went right back in. I tried to use tweezers to pull it out after I ejected it but the computer sucks it back in so fast I don't have time to grab it. Does anyone have an at-home fix for this or should I make an appointment to get it fixed? Thanks!

MacBook

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 7:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 8:16 PM

It sounds like the disc slot has an issue.

Most times it is one of the following:

1. The slot opening in the plastic case has been compressed
  2. The felt lining the slot opening has gotten damp and became stiff
  3. Perhaps the felt lining the slot is damaged and is partially blocking the opening.

For issues 2 & 3 examine the felt in the slot opening to see if there is an issue. Sometimes carefully running something along the slot can either "soften" the felt a bit or move it out of the way just enough to allow the disc to eject or allow you to grab the disc if you are quick enough. Be careful using tweezers or pliers to grab the disc as you may damage the disc.

For issue #1 I have used a flat blade screwdriver (larger size is better) to gently twist the blade in slot opening to try to gently bend the pot metal frame surrounding the slot. Usually I place the blade about 1/3 of the way from each side. You don't want to insert the blade beyond the opening or you can damage the optical drive. The frame on the Top Case is what is bent/compressed, the drive itself isn't part of the problem. If you twist the blade too much you will crack the very fragile pot metal. Even with this method I've had to use the screwdriver to hold the slot open when ejecting the disc and quickly pulling it out so the disc doesn't go back in.

Otherwise you will need to have someone open the laptop, remove the optical drive and remove the top of the optical drive so that the disc can be lifted out.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2020 8:16 PM in response to good_n00dle

It sounds like the disc slot has an issue.

Most times it is one of the following:

1. The slot opening in the plastic case has been compressed
  2. The felt lining the slot opening has gotten damp and became stiff
  3. Perhaps the felt lining the slot is damaged and is partially blocking the opening.

For issues 2 & 3 examine the felt in the slot opening to see if there is an issue. Sometimes carefully running something along the slot can either "soften" the felt a bit or move it out of the way just enough to allow the disc to eject or allow you to grab the disc if you are quick enough. Be careful using tweezers or pliers to grab the disc as you may damage the disc.

For issue #1 I have used a flat blade screwdriver (larger size is better) to gently twist the blade in slot opening to try to gently bend the pot metal frame surrounding the slot. Usually I place the blade about 1/3 of the way from each side. You don't want to insert the blade beyond the opening or you can damage the optical drive. The frame on the Top Case is what is bent/compressed, the drive itself isn't part of the problem. If you twist the blade too much you will crack the very fragile pot metal. Even with this method I've had to use the screwdriver to hold the slot open when ejecting the disc and quickly pulling it out so the disc doesn't go back in.

Otherwise you will need to have someone open the laptop, remove the optical drive and remove the top of the optical drive so that the disc can be lifted out.

Mid-2009 MacBook won't eject disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.