Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Disk Not Ejected Properly

New MacBook Air w/Ventura 13.4 and external LaCie hard drive for Time Machine. When awakened from sleep 8 or more notifications appear saying:

Eject "LaCie" before disconnecting or turning it off.

This happens every time whether or not I have ejected the LaCie hard drive. Apple support absolutely no help. They act like they never heard of this issue despite the fact that the forums are full of people with the same issue. This never happened with old MacBook Pro and earlier operating systems. Why hasn't Apple addressed this? Any idea what might be going on?

MacBook Air, macOS 13.4

Posted on May 29, 2023 3:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2023 3:47 PM

Rogerpk Said:

"Disk Not Ejected Properly: [...]Disk Not Ejected Properly Eject "LaCie" before disconnecting or turning it off.[...]"

-------

Ejecting a Drive:

So, what happens when you used disk utility to Eject it?

Similar questions

10 replies

Nov 4, 2023 9:15 AM in response to rwbramel

There is another thread here that goes into more detail. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254793541?

What's emerging is that this problem is a general one that affects many drives. I was able to stop Disk Not Ejected Properly errors on my 2018 MacMini running Ventura 13.6.1 by turning off all four sleep-related system setting options under Energy:

• Enable Power Nap

• Put hard disks to sleep when possible

• Wake for network access

• Start up automatically after a power failure.

There is more detail in the other discussion lined above

May 29, 2023 4:10 PM in response to TheLittles

I didn't use disk utility, I simply right clicked on the hard drive icon. The real issue is that this is a drive used exclusively for Time Machine back-ups and i don't want to eject the drive. Since the notification said that it was not ejected properly I tried ejecting it to simply see if that made any difference.......it didn't.

Jun 6, 2023 4:05 PM in response to Rogerpk

So Apple Support, unable to determine a solution, escalated this to Engineering. Engineering's response (surprise, surprise) is that it has to be a drive problem. This in spite of the fact that they were told that this problem occurred with multiple drives and in spite of the fact that these forums are full of people with similar issues. So....Dead End. Unbelievable. I think this is either an operating system bug or that the M2 chip requires that all peripherals be disconnected when the computer is put to sleep.

Jun 12, 2023 9:59 PM in response to rwbramel

I connected my external back-up disk through a USB-C hub that, it turns out, is not compatible with the new MacBook Air M2. When the machine was put to sleep it somehow disconnected the drive, which then reconnected itself and on and on. Hence the many "Disk Not Ejected Properly" notifications upon waking the MacBook. Connecting the drive directly to the computer solved the problem. Just bought a new hub that , supposedly, is compatible.....we'll see in a few days.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.