Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Not Ejected Properly - Monterey Problem

This is not a new question - see: Disk Not Ejected Properly - All of a sudd… - Apple Community

However, Apple is doing nothing about it. It is definitely a macOS issue. My iMac repeatedly and spontaneously alerts that both of my external (Thunderbolt) LaCie hard drives have not been 'Ejected Properly.' I repeat, this is entirely spontaneous. I am just sitting here doing routine tasks on my iMac and I get these alerts, one after another, with no hardware changes, no software changes and no settings changes. It can also occur when I wake up my iMac, but it also and annoyingly occurs spontaneously while I am actively working.

It did not occur in this way with any previous operating system on my iMac unless I actually DID improperly disconnect one of these external hard drives. I have done nothing to change the hardware configuration of my iMac through repeated macOS upgrades. This issue did not occur at all until Monterey.

Apple: Please, take action.

It is entirely new with Monterey.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 25, 2022 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2022 4:21 PM

How are the drives connected to your iMac? Via dock or directly to the iMac's ports?

Are the drives self powered?

Have you tried the following; How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support?

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" ro anti-virus or apps on your iMac?

Similar questions

6 replies

Jun 25, 2022 12:10 PM in response to BPBear544

BPBear544 wrote:

This is not a new question - see: Disk Not Ejected Properly - All of a sudd… - Apple Community

However, Apple is doing nothing about it. It is definitely a macOS issue. My iMac repeatedly and spontaneously alerts that both of my external (Thunderbolt) LaCie hard drives have not been 'Ejected Properly.'

I repeat, this is entirely spontaneous. I am just sitting here doing routine tasks on my iMac and I get these alerts, one after another, with no hardware changes, no software changes and no settings changes. It can also occur when I wake up my iMac, but it also and annoyingly occurs spontaneously while I am actively working.

It did not occur in this way with any previous operating system on my iMac unless I actually DID improperly disconnect one of these external hard drives. I have done nothing to change the hardware configuration of my iMac through repeated macOS upgrades. This issue did not occur at all until Monterey.

Apple: Please, take action.

It is entirely new with Monterey.

One symptom of a failing drive is it ejects itself for no reason...

How are these drives formatted...typically you expect GUID/apfs. Did you erase/reformat/initilze these drives when new(?) or you used them straight out of the box. ...Third party proprietary software included on some brands of new drives can cause issues.

If you have backups or can scarify the data—you can reformat and try again your experience

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Verify your software is up to date—

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.4

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Jun 25, 2022 3:47 PM in response to BPBear544

BPBear544 wrote:
both of my external (Thunderbolt) LaCie hard drives

So far as can be determined all external drives are in perfect working order. All software, including MacOS Monterey (12.4) are up to date. The drives are all formatted with MacOS Extended (Journaled) and that is the way I prepared them from day one.

The 'not ejected properly' problem began precisely with my update to Monterey. Not any sooner. And every day since.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.4

Well, you can file a bug report, same link as here: submit your Apple Feedback Product Feedback - Apple

You can wait for the next point update to see if the issue gets resolved...

or

You can reformat one of the drives as GUID/apfs as a test , start a new backup— and compare your results.

You can search the developers website or contact them: Support/Help/FAQ/Known issues/compatibility/Updates

https://www.lacie.com/support/kb/disk-not-ejected-properly-on-mac/

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

Jun 25, 2022 3:33 PM in response to leroydouglas

So far as can be determined all external drives are in perfect working order. All software, including MacOS Monterey (12.4) are up to date. The drives are all formatted with MacOS Extended (Journaled) and that is the way I prepared them from day one.

The 'not ejected properly' problem began precisely with my update to Monterey. Not any sooner. And every day since.

Jun 26, 2022 8:12 AM in response to Old Toad

Thank you. Resetting the SMC seems to have helped. I didn't even know what it was until now.

The LaCie external drives each have their own separate power supplies, and are daisy-chained directly to one of my iMac ports via Thunderbolt 2 cables.

Of the apps mentioned, I do run Bitdefender Antivirus. I turned it off for a while both before and after resetting the SMC without seeing a difference.

After resetting the SMC: I worked for a while; let the iMac go into sleep mode and then awakening it several times; and let it sleep overnight and then awakened it this morning. The only 'not ejected properly' alert I received was from my ethernet-connected ReadyNAS that I use as my Time Machine. It had never peeped before. (??) But I have received no more 'alerts' from the external LaCie drives.

Thank you.

Disk Not Ejected Properly - Monterey Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.