Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to add a client computer with network address to Apple Remote Desktop.

I am able to add computers from Local network to my Apple Remote Desktop. I need to control some client machines which are not in my local network.

So when I try to add computer by Network Address it always gives verify failed error (image attached).

I have enabled remote management in client machine( System preferences > Sharing > Remote Management > enable all options and all Users.)

The user name and password are correct. I have copied the network address from network preferences window (image attached).

Please let me know if there is anything wrong with the procedure I followed.

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 4:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2020 1:26 AM

" . . . we can do port forward for only one machine in that client network for those port numbers.The same port number can not be forwarded to more than one machine from a network."

Your IT-admin is basically correct. However you can change the port number your clients listen on and configure additional port forwarding rules to direct external traffic to multiple machines.

For example configure a client with a fixed internal IP address of 10.10.10.100 to listen on port 5901 and create the appropriate port forwarding rule. Move onto the next client with a fixed IP of 10.10.10.101 to listen on port 5902 and so-on. You use ARD to change the port number the client listens on. The firewall at your local network's edge to create the forwarding rules. However, depending on the numbers and hardware involved, this may become impractical because of the leg-work, manual configuration and hardware limitations involved.

Better to use a VPN.

" . . . Is it possible to add all machines from client network to ARD admin (which is connected to my Local network)? if Yes,

How can I add all client Mac machines(which are connected to client network) to ARD Admin (which is connected to my Local network)?"

Use a VPN.

VPN connections are encrypted and secure. It places the remote computer directly with a dynamically assigned local IP address (once the connection has been established) on that local network. It will then behave as if it was on that local network and not miles away. Essentially removing the need for multiple port forwarding rules (open to all sorts of attacks from port knockers and hackers etc) and manual client configuration.

This is what most network/IT administrators do as none of it is unknown or technically difficult. Therefore I'm a little surprised your IT-admin did not explain or suggest this to you as it should be well within his/her's capabilities as well as the hardware they're using at the local network's edge.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2020 1:26 AM in response to rajasekhar_

" . . . we can do port forward for only one machine in that client network for those port numbers.The same port number can not be forwarded to more than one machine from a network."

Your IT-admin is basically correct. However you can change the port number your clients listen on and configure additional port forwarding rules to direct external traffic to multiple machines.

For example configure a client with a fixed internal IP address of 10.10.10.100 to listen on port 5901 and create the appropriate port forwarding rule. Move onto the next client with a fixed IP of 10.10.10.101 to listen on port 5902 and so-on. You use ARD to change the port number the client listens on. The firewall at your local network's edge to create the forwarding rules. However, depending on the numbers and hardware involved, this may become impractical because of the leg-work, manual configuration and hardware limitations involved.

Better to use a VPN.

" . . . Is it possible to add all machines from client network to ARD admin (which is connected to my Local network)? if Yes,

How can I add all client Mac machines(which are connected to client network) to ARD Admin (which is connected to my Local network)?"

Use a VPN.

VPN connections are encrypted and secure. It places the remote computer directly with a dynamically assigned local IP address (once the connection has been established) on that local network. It will then behave as if it was on that local network and not miles away. Essentially removing the need for multiple port forwarding rules (open to all sorts of attacks from port knockers and hackers etc) and manual client configuration.

This is what most network/IT administrators do as none of it is unknown or technically difficult. Therefore I'm a little surprised your IT-admin did not explain or suggest this to you as it should be well within his/her's capabilities as well as the hardware they're using at the local network's edge.

Sep 12, 2020 7:32 PM in response to rajasekhar_

Are you able to ping the IP address from that system? Your routers must be properly configured if the computers are located on different subnets or networks.

FYI, you can also access the remote machine by using the Finder "Go --> Connect to Server....". Enter "vnc://<remote-ip>" to see if this will allow you to connect (you add in the port ("vnc://<remote-ip>:<port>") as well if it uses a non-default port). Sometimes the ARD administrator app can get stuck with a setting that will prevent connecting to a remote system. I had to delete an ARD preference file before I could connect to one of my other Macs, but I don't recall where this ARD preference file was located. Google for the location or start searching in the "~/Library/" folder maybe under "Application Support", "Preferences", or maybe there is an "ARD" folder/file.

Sep 27, 2020 9:43 PM in response to HWTech

Thanks for the info @HWTech, It was helpful to add one client Mac from other network.

But When I check with the IT-admin to do port forward the ports { 5900 (TCP & UDP), 3283(TCP & UDP), 22 (TCP ) } for all computers in the client network, the response was that - we can do port forward for only one machine in that client network for those port numbers.The same port number can not be forwarded to more than one machine from a network.

Is it possible to add all machines from client network to ARD admin (which is connected to my Local network)? if Yes,

How can I add all client Mac machines(which are connected to client network) to ARD Admin (which is connected to my Local network)?

Unable to add a client computer with network address to Apple Remote Desktop.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.