Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a preferred Apple Home Automation Hub device?

Is there a preferred Apple Home Automation hub device, capable of remote access and assuming it will remain in home? Is there an order of preference; HomePod, TV Gen 4, or iPad?

HomePod, 13

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 11:12 AM

All of these will act as a Hub. You really can’t choose which one will be the dominant one. They switch around, one will say connected, with the others on standby. HomePods and Apple TVs stay at home and for this reason are preferred.

Set up your HomePod, Apple TV, or iPad as a home hub - Apple Support

I use my iPad to program the Automations. This is done in the Home App and I can also do this on my iPhone. iPhones can’t act as Hubs though.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2020 11:12 AM in response to maxfromct

All of these will act as a Hub. You really can’t choose which one will be the dominant one. They switch around, one will say connected, with the others on standby. HomePods and Apple TVs stay at home and for this reason are preferred.

Set up your HomePod, Apple TV, or iPad as a home hub - Apple Support

I use my iPad to program the Automations. This is done in the Home App and I can also do this on my iPhone. iPhones can’t act as Hubs though.

Is there a preferred Apple Home Automation Hub device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.