Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade vs New

I have a 2009 Yosemine 10.5 MacBook Pro which I passed to my daughter (11) to work on her distance learning schooling. I beginning to think how reliable will it be for her and if I should consider giving it an upgrade or should I just buy a new one instead? It looks to be doing the job for her, but I noticed a couple of "hick-ups" If the upgrade is worth doing and taking in consideration that I am not confident on how to do it right, who can help me do it correctly? Or who can do it for me?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 6:58 PM

I only buy refurbs directly from Apple; you save some money, the machine is like new and checked over thoroughly by Apple, and it carries the same warranty as a new one. You can also purchase Applecare to have 3 years of protection. The offers change many times daily as they usually only have one of a kind available at a time. Figure out which year/model you'd want and then start checking the supply.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac

If available, go for one with 16 GB RAM and a (minimum) 256 or (better) 512 GB SSD. The latest OS versions are happier with more RAM and an SSD.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2020 6:58 PM in response to DayaG72

I only buy refurbs directly from Apple; you save some money, the machine is like new and checked over thoroughly by Apple, and it carries the same warranty as a new one. You can also purchase Applecare to have 3 years of protection. The offers change many times daily as they usually only have one of a kind available at a time. Figure out which year/model you'd want and then start checking the supply.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac

If available, go for one with 16 GB RAM and a (minimum) 256 or (better) 512 GB SSD. The latest OS versions are happier with more RAM and an SSD.

Sep 2, 2020 2:58 PM in response to DayaG72

Hi there DayaG72,

It sounds like you want to know about upgrading the hardware in a MacBook Pro. We'd be glad to answer questions for you. It is awesome your MacBook has lasted so long! The MacBook Pro is not expandable and does not have user serviceable parts. If you are noticing any issues with your Mac, you may be able to resolve those issues through software troubleshooting.

We hope this helps!

Sep 2, 2020 5:43 PM in response to DayaG72

Upgrades are only RAM and SSD, but you're stuck with old macOS and that might limit her production.

If a brand new one is out of your budget, consider getting one from 2015.

Avoid 2016 to 2019 unless you get a reeeeeally good deal on a machine you know was veeeery well taken care of. Otherwise, RUN.

MBP's 13" of 2020, specially the mid tier with Intel 10th gen CPU, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, is an amazing machine that'll serve you for years to come.

Upgrade vs New

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.