Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An error occurred while installing the selected updates

Hello

I’m having a trouble updating my Macbook pro to MacOS Catalina

Two different error messages keep showing “ An error occurred while installing the selected updates” : “ The network connection was lost “ and “ The request timed out “

I tried updating in safe mood but still the same errors showing , I also have tried downloading the software update file and the combo update file but it stops after downloading halfway or near the end at 3GB and says “ Unknown error “

Help me please i tried everything

MacBook

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 1:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 11:13 AM

I am sorry to hear about having this problem, but I think I can help you. First, a little bit of general information. Two types of system downloads are offered for installation. The first is a system update which fixes and updates the current operating system. The second is a system upgrade which replaces the current OS with a newer OS. It sounds like that is what you are attempting to do.

Updates and upgrades should normally take no longer than an hour or so to download, plus maybe another 45 minutes to install. What often happens is that a person attempts to do their download via a wireless (Wi Fi) connection, which is what it appears that you have.. This is simply too much data for wireless. What results is that the data is either incomplete or is corrupted and won't load. I recommend that you move the download corrupted file to the trash and do another download with a wired USB connection to the modem/router. If necessary, you may have to temporarily move the computer. If this is not possible, then be prepared to have to do multiple downloads via Wi Fi until you get a clean one that works. (Be sure to put each one that doesn't't work into the trash and then empty it.) I hope this is helpful. Good luck.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2020 11:13 AM in response to i.shahd

I am sorry to hear about having this problem, but I think I can help you. First, a little bit of general information. Two types of system downloads are offered for installation. The first is a system update which fixes and updates the current operating system. The second is a system upgrade which replaces the current OS with a newer OS. It sounds like that is what you are attempting to do.

Updates and upgrades should normally take no longer than an hour or so to download, plus maybe another 45 minutes to install. What often happens is that a person attempts to do their download via a wireless (Wi Fi) connection, which is what it appears that you have.. This is simply too much data for wireless. What results is that the data is either incomplete or is corrupted and won't load. I recommend that you move the download corrupted file to the trash and do another download with a wired USB connection to the modem/router. If necessary, you may have to temporarily move the computer. If this is not possible, then be prepared to have to do multiple downloads via Wi Fi until you get a clean one that works. (Be sure to put each one that doesn't't work into the trash and then empty it.) I hope this is helpful. Good luck.

Sep 7, 2020 2:17 PM in response to i.shahd

I am not familiar with the current MacBooks. Are you saying that it does not have an ethernet connector? (It's the one that looks like a phone jack, only larger.) I find that very hard to understand. I don't know about whether an ethernet to USB adapter would work, or is even available. Someone else may be able to address this question for you.

It is possible to use Wi Fi, but it may take more than one download to get one that works. While it's downloading, stay off of the internet. At least you now better understand the probable issue. Good luck.

An error occurred while installing the selected updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.