Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Macbook - standard apps won't update b/c refunded or purchased with diff apple ID.

I have a brand new Macbook Pro. I have had it about 3 weeks and I set it up with my one and only apple ID and I've never signed in with a different Apple ID; however, I have 4 apps that need to update (all basic apps that came on the macbook- garage band, keynote, etc.) and I'm getting the "cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID." message.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 2:54 AM

10 replies

Sep 10, 2020 10:23 AM in response to regis333

If the applications that need updating are Apple applications that came with the computer, try going to the App Store Purchases tab or click on your profile and then go to Purchases to see if there is an option to accept the applications with your Apple ID. If that doesn't work, you can delete the applications and download them with your Apple ID. The applications are free. You may have to sign out of the App Store, restart the computer, and sign back in to download new copies.

Get updates for preinstalled apps on Mac

Sep 6, 2020 5:13 AM in response to Eric Root

Correction, I was able to delete it but it doesn't appear to have really deleted it. When I go to the app store now, I still only have the option to update and get the same update error message (that it wasn't purchased with my account). Keynote for example is one I deleted. It's nowhere to be found on my computer. If I try to open a keynote file, it tells me I no longer have the app that supports it and gives me the option to go to the app store. When I get to the app store, it still says update beside keynote and a box immediately pops up, telling me that it's not available in my country or region. -United States... hmm....

New Macbook - standard apps won't update b/c refunded or purchased with diff apple ID.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.