Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Right side USB-C ports only charge

I'm having a strange problem with my 2016 Macbook Pro with Touch Bar. The right side USB-C ports (3 & 4) only charge the computer. No usb or thunderbolt devices are recognized. I'm using the official Apple USB-C cable to connect my iPhone and USB-C to Thunderbolt to connect an external drive. I have also tried the Apple USB-C to USB-A female adapter for connecting and charging other devices but still nothing.

The left side USB-C ports (1 & 2) work fine. I can use either port for charging the computer and charging or connecting devices.

I have tried the SMC reset but I'm not sure if I did it correctly since there was no change. I have also tried the NVRAM reset. I think that worked since the screen was extremely bright when the computer came back on.

Any thoughts?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 8:49 AM

5 replies

Sep 3, 2020 9:39 AM in response to windstorm06

Hello Windstorm06,

It sounds like you are having an issue where the right side USB-C ports only charge the computer and do not work when trying to transfer data or connect a device. You have already tried SMC and NVRAM resets but the issue persists. You have taken some good steps in trying to resolve your issue. You could test the issue in safe mode to try and resolve the issue.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

If the issue persists you should contact Apple Support for next steps.

Contact Apple Support

Cheers!

Sep 3, 2020 6:38 PM in response to windstorm06

windstorm06 wrote:

I'm having a strange problem with my 2016 Macbook Pro with Touch Bar. The right side USB-C ports (3 & 4) only charge the computer. No usb or thunderbolt devices are recognized. I'm using the official Apple USB-C cable to connect my iPhone and USB-C to Thunderbolt to connect an external drive. I have also tried the Apple USB-C to USB-A female adapter for connecting and charging other devices but still nothing.

The left side USB-C ports (1 & 2) work fine. I can use either port for charging the computer and charging or connecting devices.

I have tried the SMC reset but I'm not sure if I did it correctly since there was no change. I have also tried the NVRAM reset. I think that worked since the screen was extremely bright when the computer came back on.

Any thoughts?

You can hold the key combination for 3 or 4 rounds of reset.

NVRAM/PRAM http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

2016 and 2017 models of the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, configured with sixth- and seventh-generation Intel Core i5 and Core i7 processors, — limiting full speeds to the two left-side Thunderbolt 3 ports, with reduced bandwidth on the right-side ports.

Sep 3, 2020 5:55 PM in response to MarcusS13

Thank you @MarcusS13... I tried Safe Mode and logging in as a new user. Unfortunately no luck. I called Apple Support and they suggested that I try wiping the computer and reinstalling. If that doesn't work, bring it in for repair. Unfortunately, neither option will work. I need the computer for work and Apple doesn't support repairs in my location. I'll have to suck it up and work with a slightly broken machine until it's time to replace it.

Sep 3, 2020 6:11 PM in response to windstorm06

windstorm06 wrote:

I'm using the official Apple USB-C cable...

There is only One cable included that has USB-C connectors on it. It is the Apple CHARGE cable.

That cable contains charge conductors, but NO high speed data pathways whatsoever.

If you want to connect ANYTHING other than a power adapter, you need to buy another cable -- and it needs to be a cable that is specific to the type of data you want to transfer.

The days of, "If the connectors fit, it works great" are GONE with the advent of Intel's ThuncerBolt-3 (USB-C) connectors.

Right side USB-C ports only charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.