Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C not working/charging on MacBook Pro

Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbold 3 ports). One of the USB-Cs/Thunderbolds is only working when you turn the MacBook off and on and only one way. When you plug the cable in and out, it works and charges, but once you flip it around and plug it in the other way, it stops charging one way or another and the port is acting like it's not working. You have to restart the MacBook in order to get it working again.

Hard to explain and very strange. Could this be a hardware thing?

The other Thunderbold 3 is working just fine.

Thanks for any help!

Matyas

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 9:29 PM

Yes that indicates a hardware issue. My co-worker was just repairing a USB-C MBPro and found the same issue which ended up being a bad I/O Board, but with a two TB3 laptop the USB-C ports are part of the Logic Board. However, there is a chance you may have a bad charging cable or a bad charger.

If you cannot eliminate a charging cable or charger issue, then take all these items with you when you have the Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine your laptop.

You can try an SMC Reset, but I doubt it will help.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2021 9:29 PM in response to mrlionsss

Yes that indicates a hardware issue. My co-worker was just repairing a USB-C MBPro and found the same issue which ended up being a bad I/O Board, but with a two TB3 laptop the USB-C ports are part of the Logic Board. However, there is a chance you may have a bad charging cable or a bad charger.

If you cannot eliminate a charging cable or charger issue, then take all these items with you when you have the Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine your laptop.

You can try an SMC Reset, but I doubt it will help.

USB-C not working/charging on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.