Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dark mode resetting to light mode upon restart

I have my Mac set to Dark Mode but every time I reboot my computer or turn it off/on again, it resets to Light Mode. I am not using the "Auto" setting that changes from Light to Dark mode depending on the time of day.

Could this be an issue because I recently transferred my user profile from a 2014 MacBook Air (running on Sierra) to my 2019 MacBook Pro (running on Catalina).

Any advice on how to stop Dark Mode from disabling upon reboot?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 8:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2020 1:09 AM

Try this as a test:

• create a new user
  • login to that new account, set Dark Mode
  • restart and login to that new account: is Dark Mode set?

If it is, then it would confirm my suspicion that the problem is specific to your normal account.

I tried to figure out where exactly in the preferences this setting is saved, but so far I was not successful.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2020 1:09 AM in response to avg_apple_user

Try this as a test:

• create a new user
  • login to that new account, set Dark Mode
  • restart and login to that new account: is Dark Mode set?

If it is, then it would confirm my suspicion that the problem is specific to your normal account.

I tried to figure out where exactly in the preferences this setting is saved, but so far I was not successful.

Sep 6, 2020 9:29 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for this thorough tutorial and suggestion. I followed your steps exactly and created a fresh user account using the same home folder.

Steps I took:

• Created new user account using same home folder after deleting
  • Logged back into "fresh" user account and set it to Dark Mode
  • Restart the computer to see if Dark Mode would "stick". Unfortunately it did not.
  • Reset the NVRAM and tried to set Dark Mode again. Upon restarting, Dark Mode did not stick

I checked the other admin/test accounts I've created to see if Dark Mode "sticks" after I restart and they do, so my guess is that there is something in the Home folder of my User file that's been transferred from my old Mac affecting the settings.

At this point I'm not sure if you have any additional solutions, but I'm open to it!

Sep 3, 2020 9:16 AM in response to avg_apple_user

Normally, I'd suspect about some launch agent or login item in your account, but if that were the case it would have worked correctly in Safe Mode.

You may have success with rebuilding your user account using the steps below - but please make a BACKUP first.

You can rebuild your account by following the steps below.

AGAIN: do not attempt this without a backup. It should work fine, but if something goes wrong you want to be able to go back to your previous state.

That said, the procedure is fairly simple.

1) Create a new admin account.

2) Logout of your normal account, and login to the new admin account

[note: it is always a good idea to keep a second admin account, anyway!]

3) Go to System Preferences->Users & Groups, click the padlock to authenticate.

4) [This is the dangerous part] Select your account and click "-".

It is CRUCIAL that you leave the Home folder intact:

6) Confirm.

7) In the Finder, press Command-Shift-H to open a window to the home folder of the admin account, then press Command-Up Arrow to move one folder up.

8) There you should see your home folder, renamed as "yourusername (Deleted)"

9) Change its name back to what it used to be by removing the trailing " (Deleted)"

10) Back in System Preferences->Users & Groups, click "+" and add a user with the exact same name as above.

11) You will be told that a folder with that name already exists. Click "Use Existing Folder":

That's it. All your documents, images, preferences, mail... should be exactly as before, but you now have a fresh user account.

Sep 3, 2020 8:49 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi Luis,

I tried this test out and as you guessed, Dark Mode stuck for the test account upon reboot. When I first set-up my account (before Migration Assistant transfer from my old Mac I didn't have a problem with Dark Mode, so it must have something to do with user account and the settings from my old computer).

Is there some way that I can clear a cache or record in my user files to "reset" the Dark Mode preference for my user account?

Dark mode resetting to light mode upon restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.