Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dark Mode reverting to Light mode every night

Every night, overnight, by mac is switching from Dark Mode back to Light Mode. To clarify, I do not have it set to 'Auto', I have explicitly set it to dark mode. Has anyone else experienced this issue and know how to resolve it? I really like dark mode and would love to have my mac honor the setting rather than reverting it overnight.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 1:36 PM

I believe that f.lux may be involved, whether directly, or collaterally in changing your mode settings. Turn it off or uninstall it, and reboot your Mac. Then assess if your appearance mode changes by itself.

Since your images are coming from a folder of background images (which I am also doing), this is not the issue.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2021 1:36 PM in response to voicelessreason

I believe that f.lux may be involved, whether directly, or collaterally in changing your mode settings. Turn it off or uninstall it, and reboot your Mac. Then assess if your appearance mode changes by itself.

Since your images are coming from a folder of background images (which I am also doing), this is not the issue.

Nov 10, 2021 9:40 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for your reply.

The only third party application that I can think of that may be tangentially related is f.lux, which I use to filter blue light later in the evening. Do you think that could be the cause? It seems that it likely functions in a very different way than the dark mode/light mode setting but I could be wrong.

I'm unsure of what you mean by Dynamic Desktop...I have my background set to cycle through a folder of background images, but this is done through the native settings rather than through any third party software. Is this what you are referring to?

Dark Mode reverting to Light mode every night

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.