Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I prevent Preview from opening when taking a screenshot?

All of a sudden just a day ago after taking screenshots on my Macbook Air, Preview was opening instead of just the screenshots saving on my desktop. I don't recall making any setting changes. It just suddenly happened. I normally use the Shift + Command + 3 and sometimes the Screenshot program. Both would just save the screenshot on my desktop instead of opening Preview. Is there a way to get it back to the way it was before?

Thanks.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 12:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 12:56 PM

Press command-shift-5 to open the Screenshots application.

Click the Options button and change the settings so that Preview is not selected,

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 2, 2020 12:47 PM in response to jchinn84

Hi, welcome to the Apple Users Community.

Has your Default reset? Get info on a screenshot on the desktop, check the default app mid way down the window of info. If you normally use Photoshop as I do, it could have gotten reset with PS updates between versions.

Also does the screenshot preview in the bottom left corner of the screen? If so, you can right click on that small preview and a pop list as below shows up:

This offers Markup which will open in the screenshot markup app and Save to Desktop if you are in a hurry. They do populate on the desktop after a few seconds if you just wait long enough.

Best of luck

How do I prevent Preview from opening when taking a screenshot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.