Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble after erasing disk

I cannot get my computer to open after wiping clean and reinstalling the Operating System. Would appreciate some help.

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 1:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 1:43 PM

As I say, it likely wasn't formatted correctly.

For mid-2011 or later Macs, restart holding the command-option-shift-R key sequence. You should get the option to reformat the drive with disk utility. Once the formatted proper, quit disk utility and run the installer. The Mac App Store should get you to 10.12, and then you can upgrade to 10.13 if it is compatible.

Fo March 15, 2010 to pre-mid-2011 computers, find the original installer disc. AppleCare may have it. Boot the disk with the Option key, and then open from the menu Disk Utility to reformat the drive. Run the installer, and run the combo update for 10.6.8. Then run the 10.11 installer from the Mac App Store, then you can try to get to either 10.12 or 10.13 if the Mac is comaptible.

For pre-March-2010 computers, get the 10.6.3 retail installer disc that looks like:

Directions are otherwise similar to the March 2010 to mid-2011 computers.

Use http://checkcoverage.apple.com/ to find out the age of the computer, after finding the serious number on its bottom or rear. Use a magnifying glass if you can't read its fine print. A cell phone zoom photo lens can also help.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2020 1:43 PM in response to Lindy Hill

As I say, it likely wasn't formatted correctly.

For mid-2011 or later Macs, restart holding the command-option-shift-R key sequence. You should get the option to reformat the drive with disk utility. Once the formatted proper, quit disk utility and run the installer. The Mac App Store should get you to 10.12, and then you can upgrade to 10.13 if it is compatible.

Fo March 15, 2010 to pre-mid-2011 computers, find the original installer disc. AppleCare may have it. Boot the disk with the Option key, and then open from the menu Disk Utility to reformat the drive. Run the installer, and run the combo update for 10.6.8. Then run the 10.11 installer from the Mac App Store, then you can try to get to either 10.12 or 10.13 if the Mac is comaptible.

For pre-March-2010 computers, get the 10.6.3 retail installer disc that looks like:

Directions are otherwise similar to the March 2010 to mid-2011 computers.

Use http://checkcoverage.apple.com/ to find out the age of the computer, after finding the serious number on its bottom or rear. Use a magnifying glass if you can't read its fine print. A cell phone zoom photo lens can also help.

Sep 2, 2020 3:07 PM in response to a brody

Thank you for your help! I managed to get back to an option for restoring from A Time Capsule. I will go from there when it’s complete. Your answer to my plea was very welcome and helpful. I am always quick to place blame on myself, and I think you helped me realize that the format had its own part in foiling the effort. Thank you for sharing your time and experience with me!

Trouble after erasing disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.