Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail marking as read when not read.

How do I stop mail on my iPad Pro from Immediately marking an email as read when scrolling or trying to move it to a folder?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 10:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2020 2:56 AM

The method by which you move the email message affects how the “Unread” marker is handled.

Let’s start with what I believe you may be doing...

If you tap an Unread message in the mailbox sidebar, the message content becomes visible in the mail mail window; because the message has been accessed, the message is marked as Read. Moving the message to a mail folder will not change the [now Read] status of the message.

This is how to move an Unread mail message, to a folder, without changing its Read status...

In the mailbox sidebar, touch-and-hold the message that you wish to move; both a message preview window and an Action Menu will appear. Tap Move Message - and select the folder to which you wish to move the message; the email message will be moved to the selected folder with the Unread flag unchanged.

I hope you find this guidance to be helpful in resolving your issue.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2020 2:56 AM in response to Trish.E

The method by which you move the email message affects how the “Unread” marker is handled.

Let’s start with what I believe you may be doing...

If you tap an Unread message in the mailbox sidebar, the message content becomes visible in the mail mail window; because the message has been accessed, the message is marked as Read. Moving the message to a mail folder will not change the [now Read] status of the message.

This is how to move an Unread mail message, to a folder, without changing its Read status...

In the mailbox sidebar, touch-and-hold the message that you wish to move; both a message preview window and an Action Menu will appear. Tap Move Message - and select the folder to which you wish to move the message; the email message will be moved to the selected folder with the Unread flag unchanged.

I hope you find this guidance to be helpful in resolving your issue.

Mail marking as read when not read.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.