Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The News app is not behaving well

I like the News app. When it works. For the past several weeks, maybe a month or more, it's not working well.

When I open it, and scroll down past the first screen's worth of stories, it hangs, with the little spinner thingy showing and it says it's downloading more stories. And nothing happens. Sometimes if I force-quit the app and then re-open it, it works as it should, but then the next time I look at it, the same error happens. Sometimes doing that doesn't help at all.

I have updated the iPad to the latest iPadOS version, 13.7 and this doesn't help.

I am thinking that maybe I need to delete the app and reload it, but am wary of the unintended consequences of doing this. I expect that all the saved stories will be gone, which I can live with, but what else am I going to lose?

iPad Air, iPadOS 13

Posted on Sep 3, 2020 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 2:55 PM

The problem may be fixed. I did a hard reset (holding home button and power button until the white apple logo disappears) and then restarting. Don't know if this is a permanent fix but it's working for now.

4 replies

Sep 4, 2020 12:11 PM in response to bill.robertson

Hello bill.robertson,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities! We understand that you are looking to find out what happens if you delete the News app. Let’s take a look and see what we can do. We're happy to help!

When you delete the News app it deletes any local data, but any documents or data stored in iCloud will not be deleted. This resource will help you understand what happens when you delete built-in apps from your device.

Delete built-in Apple apps on your iOS 12, iOS 13, or iPadOS device or Apple Watch

Have a great day!

Sep 4, 2020 1:25 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Joseph, your reply was helpful, unfortunately deleting and reloading the News app did not fix the problem.

I still get the spinner thingy with the Loading… text when I scroll past the first screen-worth of articles. Sometimes force-quitting the app will fix it temporarily but not always.

I'm paying for the subscription so this is not acceptable.

the app works as expected on my iPhone and my iMac. It’s just the iPad that has the problem.

Shutting down the iPad doesn’t help.

The News app is not behaving well

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.