Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dolby Atmos No Sound at all

Hello,

I recently got a new TV that supports Dolby Atmos/Vision. When I use the built-in apps in the TV (Netflix) I can get dolby atmos working perfectly. When I try the Nextflix app using the Apple TV, it does not work, there is no sound at all.

I also rented a movie via Apple TV as well (with atmos) and I couldn't hear a thing from the movie. So the issue seems to be just with the Apple TV.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on Sep 3, 2020 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 10:30 AM

From what I saw online through your link, the TV itself has two speakers, meaning you will get stereo audio, not Atmos, without additional gear.

The specification that the TV supports Atmos will probably mean that its smart apps and other inputs can access Atmos content when you add an Atmos capable audio system.

For more details, see your TV user guide and/or LG Support.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2020 10:30 AM in response to Darksteel02

From what I saw online through your link, the TV itself has two speakers, meaning you will get stereo audio, not Atmos, without additional gear.

The specification that the TV supports Atmos will probably mean that its smart apps and other inputs can access Atmos content when you add an Atmos capable audio system.

For more details, see your TV user guide and/or LG Support.

Sep 3, 2020 5:36 PM in response to Darksteel02

Play audio in Dolby Atmos or surround sound on your Apple TV - Apple Support

Apple TV 4K uses a high bandwidth form of Dolby Atmos that doesn’t work over ARC connections. You will need to connect as: Apple TV → AV receiver → TV.

On Apple TV, you can only enable Immersive Audio–Dolby Atmos if that capability is detected by the Apple TV software.

Sep 4, 2020 2:53 AM in response to Darksteel02

So looks like I have to have a device in between.

Possibly. What is your exact setup for this (TV make and model, sound system make and model)?

Some soundbars allow video passthrough and support HDMI 2.0 for in and out.

TVs with eARC may have some possibilities to passthrough the audio signal as-is to audio equipment, allowing Apple TV → TV → receiver or soundbar instead.

Does the sound bar need to also support Dolby atmos?

Well yes, without Dolby Atmos capable audio equipment, the format isn’t useful for you. The speaker system needs surround capabilities and also a vertical component and also Dolby Atmos pre-processing (decoding for all the separate speakers and their positions).

Sep 4, 2020 4:41 AM in response to Urquhart1244

This is the model I have:

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-65un8500pui-uhd-4k-tv

It does have the eARC/ARC Slot in the back (HDMI Audio Return Channel (ARC)eARC (HDMI 3)). I connected the AppleTv there and the issue still persists. It's weird that I would have to spend more money when the TV is already capable for Dolby Atmos.

The setup is simple, from AppleTV directly to the TV (Now using ARC HDMI slot).

Sep 4, 2020 5:04 AM in response to Darksteel02

Please use the ARC/eARC port for the connection between the TV and audio equipment (soundbar or receiver). Not for connecting the Apple TV box. Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

Dolby Atmos comes in various ‘flavors’: Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos, Dolby True HD with Atmos, Dolby MAT (PCM Multichannel with Atmos). Apple TV 4K uses the latter. Verify if your soundbar supports that.

Dolby Atmos No Sound at all

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.