Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to create a square video using iMovie.

Hi,

I would like to create a perfect 1080px by 1080px (Squaie) for instagram post. I can do this using powerpoint but it is not as convenient as in iMovie.

I was wondering if I could export/create a 1080px by 1080px (Square) video with iMovie. All my pictures and videos are perfect square and no need to post-cropping.

Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 5:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 7:32 AM

Since your videos are already perfectly square they will display in iMovie's 16:9 dimension screen as a square with black bars around it to make it fit the screen. When you export it it will still be square with black bars. You can then play the video on your desktop and do a Command-Shift-5 to get a tool box at the bottom of your screen. The tool box will have an option to record the screen by press dragging an outline of just the video part of the screen, thus eliminating the black bars.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2020 7:32 AM in response to chikitin

Since your videos are already perfectly square they will display in iMovie's 16:9 dimension screen as a square with black bars around it to make it fit the screen. When you export it it will still be square with black bars. You can then play the video on your desktop and do a Command-Shift-5 to get a tool box at the bottom of your screen. The tool box will have an option to record the screen by press dragging an outline of just the video part of the screen, thus eliminating the black bars.

-- Rich

How to create a square video using iMovie.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.