Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine only "Preparing Backup"

I am unable to back up using Time Machine as it never moves from "Preparing Backup" to actually backing up. What should I do?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 11:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 1:45 PM

How much free space on both drives?

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2020 1:45 PM in response to markccccc

How much free space on both drives?

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Sep 7, 2020 11:32 AM in response to BDAqua

Well, I double checked on the amount of space available and there was indeed not enough available. However, when I removed files from my external hard disk and put them into the trash, I thought it would work fine. But when I tried to empty the trash, it has now been running for more than 48 hours going very slowly emptying trash. Any ideas why this process is so slow and whether I should force it to quit and start again? Thanks in advance.

Time Machine only "Preparing Backup"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.