Did not finish back up

I am backing up on Time Machine for the first time but it says that it could not complete backup as some files were unavailable. How do I go through with it?

MacBook Air, macOS 13.4

Posted on May 22, 2023 4:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2023 8:14 PM

mrjohng1 Said:

"Did not finish back up: I am backing up on Time Machine for the first time but it says that it could not complete backup as some files were unavailable. How do I go through with it?"

-------

Format as APFS:

You should format this drive prior to using it as a backup. That should get everything correlated. Name it what you like. Use APFS for the File System. So, extract what need be so that no data is lost, and then format the drives anew by erasing them in Disk Utility. Create the Time Machine Backups from there: If you need to Create a New Backup from Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2023 8:14 PM in response to mrjohng1

mrjohng1 Said:

"Did not finish back up: I am backing up on Time Machine for the first time but it says that it could not complete backup as some files were unavailable. How do I go through with it?"

-------

Format as APFS:

You should format this drive prior to using it as a backup. That should get everything correlated. Name it what you like. Use APFS for the File System. So, extract what need be so that no data is lost, and then format the drives anew by erasing them in Disk Utility. Create the Time Machine Backups from there: If you need to Create a New Backup from Mac - Apple Support

Did not finish back up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.