Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't backup with Time Machine.

I worked with Apple Support the other day and the technician has me erase system and reinstall macOS. Subsequently it backed up fine. But since then does not.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 27, 2022 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2022 5:49 PM

That seems rather extreme. Did he or she have you follow the steps in If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine?

The third bullet point recommends using Disk Utility to "repair" the backup disk:

In addition to that, I suggest that you also repair the source disk. Follow those instructions, but where it says "Select your disk in Disk Utility" select the internal disk.

As it states: Repair volumes, then containers, then disks — in that order.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2022 5:49 PM in response to rlsmith1

That seems rather extreme. Did he or she have you follow the steps in If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine?

The third bullet point recommends using Disk Utility to "repair" the backup disk:

In addition to that, I suggest that you also repair the source disk. Follow those instructions, but where it says "Select your disk in Disk Utility" select the internal disk.

As it states: Repair volumes, then containers, then disks — in that order.

Can't backup with Time Machine.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.