Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos not displaying on "Places" on Mac Photo

Hi - I have about 23k photos all of which has location data, if I click on "Places" only 1 photo is displayed, however if I click on any photo individually then the location is displayed correctly. It used to work fine so I'm guessing it was an update in the last 12 months. Any ideas?

iMac Pro

Posted on Sep 5, 2020 12:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2020 12:59 AM

Which system version do you have installed? If you upgraded to macOS 10.15 Catalina, the handling of the Places album has been changed. Referenced photos will no longer be shown on the maps:

Problem in Photos 5.0: Referenced Photos do not show in the Places Album - Apple Community

Are you photos importing the photos as referenced files?

The first days after the update you will need an internet connection, so Photos can scan the photos for locations and has access to Apple's location database.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2020 12:59 AM in response to DanielsUK

Which system version do you have installed? If you upgraded to macOS 10.15 Catalina, the handling of the Places album has been changed. Referenced photos will no longer be shown on the maps:

Problem in Photos 5.0: Referenced Photos do not show in the Places Album - Apple Community

Are you photos importing the photos as referenced files?

The first days after the update you will need an internet connection, so Photos can scan the photos for locations and has access to Apple's location database.

Photos not displaying on "Places" on Mac Photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.