Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old iPod won't connect to apple music.

I am trying to use apple music with my old iPod touch 4th gen. You can't sync apple music to an iPod touch through a computer, but must use the iPod's online features. I have tried this, but although I do have an active apple music subscription on the account I am trying to use. Please note that the iPod Touch 4th gen cannot upgrade further than iOS 6.1.6 (In short, iOS 6). Also, tell me if this is supposed to work or not when using a child account or when using the free trial (I am a kid, and I'm pretty sure I got apple music on my account which I'm pretty sure is a child iCloud account connected to my mum's Apple account, that is 'technically' also mine, since I made it and it probably has my passwords and stuff. And I'm probably still using the free trial, can still use it on devices like my HP laptop and mum's Macbook Air, not just my iPad, which I got it on, so I cannot see how the free trial of Apple music can work any differently while using the free trial, compared to the full, paid thing).

iPod Touch (4th Gen)

Posted on Sep 5, 2020 1:05 PM

5 replies

Sep 5, 2020 3:49 PM in response to sberman

I understand that the iPod touch 4th gen is pretty old, but I don't have any newer type of iPod touch, and my parents won't let me carry my iPad around or use it to listen to music at night NO MATTER HOW HARD I TRY TO CONVINCE THEM. Also, the iPod does have an online music syncing thing, and apple music is specified when it's like'lol u don' have a heckin' apple music subscription - get the free trial you P E A S E N T' (no it doesn't actually say that, it's when you turn on iTunes match and it's like "This account does not have iCloud music enabled. Apple music has not been linked to this account." even though it HAS been linked to my account.

Sep 5, 2020 4:45 PM in response to Phil0124

But it's advertised on the iTunes store, and when I try to sync it through iTunes on my computer, it says to sync the apple music music online through the iPod. Also, when I try to use the online syncing feature that it DOES have, it specifies apple music, not saying that it's not compatible, but saying that I don't have apple music, even though I do.

Sep 5, 2020 5:48 PM in response to SliceJosiah

Let’s take a step back. Your posts are a bit confusing.

The Apple Music Subscription won’t work on a 4th gen iPod touch period. There is no way to make it or the iCloud music library work on it

If you have music you purchased from the iTunes store, you can re download it onto the iPod from your purchase history in the iTunes Store app. If you have musIc from other sources on your computer, you can sync that directly to the iPod via a USB cable.

Old iPod won't connect to apple music.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.