Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I sort pictures in Photos by the date and time?

The View is set (greyed out) in Photos to "Keep Sorted By Oldest Capture Date". The photos are sorted by date, but not by time. The date and time are in the metadata, and I assume it is available to the ios. And yet the sort hierarchy looks more like Date/Camera/Time, but not. I don't care about the device used to take the pictures i'd like them to be sorted by Date/Time. I can easily arrange files in Windows by date and time. a big part of my frustration is "the data is right there why can't I use it?"

iMac Pro

Posted on Sep 5, 2020 2:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2020 2:38 PM

Please read the following user tip and restate your question/problem in detail: Writing an Effective Apple Support Communities Question - Apple Community  

What system and Photos versions are you running? The following screenshot/diagream is for Photos 5.0 in Catalina:

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 8, 2020 7:16 AM in response to iShouldBeAbleToDoThisWithMAC

Have you compared the clocks in your cameras, if the are set identical?

Which system version is installed on your Mac? if the view in Photos is set to "Keep Sorted By Oldest Capture Date", you have probably Catalina installed.

In Catalina you can easily compare the time zones assigned by Photos to the capture times of your photos by displaying the date and time with the time zone in the Info. This is described here: How to display the Date and Time Zone in the Info in Photos in Catalina

This makes it easier to compare the times, if photos seem to be sorted incorrectly.

How do I sort pictures in Photos by the date and time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.