Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What Information Can a Website Receive About You When You Preview a Link in Safari?

Hello Apple Community. I recently received a phishing email which contained a phishing link. Knowing that it was a phishing link, I didn’t enter the website. However, I accidentally previewed it. I am concerned as to what kind of information the attacker can receive about me when I preview a link? Thank you for your time.

I did not provide any credentials, so I guess that’s good.

iPad (6th gen) WiFi

Posted on Sep 5, 2020 10:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2020 11:04 PM

AndyTheGreat876 Said:

"What Information Can a Website Receive About You When You Preview a Link in Safari?: Hello Apple Community. I recently received a phishing email which contained a phishing link. Knowing that it was a phishing link, I didn’t enter the website. However, I accidentally previewed it. I am concerned as to what kind of information the attacker can receive about me when I preview a link? Thank you for your time. I did not provide any credentials, so I guess that’s good."

-------

Perform the Following:

A. Scan with Malwarebytes for Mac:

Malwarebytes searches for malware (short for (malicious software) and spyware. Those make your Mac act in a mislead manor. So scan with it, and remove what is found from the quarantine. It is created by longtime users of these forums making it the only reliable Security Software for a Mac. If synced with iPad connected, it may have got installed on your Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

B. Clear the Temporary Internet Files:

Clear your Temporary Internet Files (Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

• Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data.
  • Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.

Go Here: Clear the History and Cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch - Apple Support

C. Having Clicked the Link:

With Security & Privacy being of High-Concern here, consider modifying your credentials, immediately. Pefroming the following is best at this point.  So, Consider...

and...

D. Take Screenshots for Apple:

Take screenshots of this Application, and send the screenshots to Apple at reportphishing@apple.com. In the text field of the eMail, provide a brief discussion of what these images are all about.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2020 11:04 PM in response to AndyTheGreat876

AndyTheGreat876 Said:

"What Information Can a Website Receive About You When You Preview a Link in Safari?: Hello Apple Community. I recently received a phishing email which contained a phishing link. Knowing that it was a phishing link, I didn’t enter the website. However, I accidentally previewed it. I am concerned as to what kind of information the attacker can receive about me when I preview a link? Thank you for your time. I did not provide any credentials, so I guess that’s good."

-------

Perform the Following:

A. Scan with Malwarebytes for Mac:

Malwarebytes searches for malware (short for (malicious software) and spyware. Those make your Mac act in a mislead manor. So scan with it, and remove what is found from the quarantine. It is created by longtime users of these forums making it the only reliable Security Software for a Mac. If synced with iPad connected, it may have got installed on your Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

B. Clear the Temporary Internet Files:

Clear your Temporary Internet Files (Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

• Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data.
  • Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.

Go Here: Clear the History and Cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch - Apple Support

C. Having Clicked the Link:

With Security & Privacy being of High-Concern here, consider modifying your credentials, immediately. Pefroming the following is best at this point.  So, Consider...

and...

D. Take Screenshots for Apple:

Take screenshots of this Application, and send the screenshots to Apple at reportphishing@apple.com. In the text field of the eMail, provide a brief discussion of what these images are all about.

What Information Can a Website Receive About You When You Preview a Link in Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.