Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot up failing on iMac

Hi,

I have an iMac from 2012, I had it to boot in verbose mode using sudo nvram boot-args="-v" but yesterday it encountered a problem while booting up, while in verbose mode, it got stuck on "srom rev:9" and it was there for 1-2 hours. Obviously, seeing my computer not booting up, I restarted it but the result was same so I searched the net and found a way to reset NVRAM by holding down command+option+P+R on chime, so I did that and it chimed again, after this the verbose mode is gone and I am now stuck on a white blank screen 🥺

I have tried command+R, and all the key combinations available, but to no avail. I also tried to boot into safe mode but it does not go into safe mode.

Kindly help me to restore back my computer. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lakshay

India

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 5, 2020 11:05 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Oct 22, 2020 10:15 AM in response to lakshay1701

lakshay1701 Said:

"Boot up failing on iMac: Hi @thelittles, this is also not working The screen itself is not visible, it is not going into safe mode also

———-

Try an External Monitor:

Connect an external monitor or TV (via the HDMI Port). If that works, then I have a hunch your screen is going dead. So, please report back if it works. Either way, see about getting the screen swapped out.

Get this Screen Serviced, ASAP:

Contact an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) in your local area.

Contact an AASP: 

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the screen.

Sep 6, 2020 8:49 PM in response to lakshay1701

lakshay1701 Said:

"Boot up failing on iMac: [...] yesterday it encountered a problem while booting up, while in verbose mode, it got stuck on "srom rev:9" and it was there for 1-2 hours [...] Kindly help me to restore back my computer. Any help would be highly appreciated. [...] Any of the key combination(s) does not work"

-------

Troubleshoot with External Devices:

Try External Devices:

So, have you tried connecting an external monitor? If not, try doing so, seeing if that makes everything pop up. If it pops up, then reinstall the macOS through that, using that screen.

Or...

Disconnect External Devices:

Disconnect all external devices, and power them off, if they use bluetooth.

Sep 20, 2020 4:35 AM in response to lakshay1701

lakshay1701 Said:

"Boot up failing on iMac: Unfortunately no, this is also not working”:

———-

Try Booting in Safe Mode:

Hold down shift key upon boot. In Safe Mode, Login Items do not load, and unnecessary caches (temporary files for System Settings) are placed aside and are reset.

Or...

Reinstall the macOS — Back Up First:

You might need to reinstall the macOS. Sometimes, changes are made to your Mac (i.e. uninstalls), and then settings (i.e. for power), become manipulated, technically. So, reinstalling the macOS with place moved items back to where they should be, and will replace damaged system files.

1. First, Back up your Mac:

Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall.

2. Then, Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to Reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Boot up failing on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.