Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

error 0x8007017B

I have suddenly started getting this error when I try to move photos from my Icloud directory on windows 10 laptop. The set up has not changed recently, they are in icloud photos> photos directory, which is where they have been for years... Can anyone help with this?

Thanks

Posted on Sep 6, 2020 1:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 1:10 PM

I too had this problem when trying to drag the photos across to my Onedrive from iCloud photos, I don't want to appear to be a smart arse, but, being a novice in these matters, after having read the other posts here , I thought I'd give my own method a try.

It's so obvious that I thought that it wouldn't work, as it's so easy.

I popped a USB stick into a USB3 port, dragged and dropped the selection of files onto the stick, then dragged and dropped them from the USB stick into my Onedrive folder.

Hey presto, job done, hope this helps you 6phon and everyone else that has the issue.

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2020 1:10 PM in response to 6phon

I too had this problem when trying to drag the photos across to my Onedrive from iCloud photos, I don't want to appear to be a smart arse, but, being a novice in these matters, after having read the other posts here , I thought I'd give my own method a try.

It's so obvious that I thought that it wouldn't work, as it's so easy.

I popped a USB stick into a USB3 port, dragged and dropped the selection of files onto the stick, then dragged and dropped them from the USB stick into my Onedrive folder.

Hey presto, job done, hope this helps you 6phon and everyone else that has the issue.

Jan 2, 2021 10:51 PM in response to 6phon

Well, Because of the way the new iCloud app (V.11+) downloaded through the Windows store works, a standard delete doesn't work. It's a Virtual network drive and because an iCloud engineer didn't follow proper Microsoft protocol for programming a network-style mount.

For example: When you delete a file on a network drive it does not get moved to the "Recycle Bin". It prompts you that the file will be permanently deleted because Window's knows it's a network drive.

Apple's engineers didn't implement the standard coding to tell Windows that the folder is a Network style folder and to prompt when deleting. So you get an error when following Apple's own directions on their page here:

https://support.apple.com/guide/icloud/delete-photos-and-videos-mm0fa5ca1bc1/icloud

So if you want to Delete your files from your "iCloud Photos" folder you have to do one of the following:

1. Do a move using the drag and drop the files to a new location with the shift key
  2. Do a move with ctrl+x > cttrl+v to a new location
  3. Do a Shift-Delete on the selected files.
  4. Do a move to the Recycle Bin while holding the "Shift" key which will show DELETE rather than move when the location is the recycle bin.

Hope this helps everyone!

[Edited by Moderator]

Nov 19, 2020 6:25 AM in response to banana888

Moving photos from icloud to files on my PC has NEVER been a problem. Until now. Synchronisation doesn't seem to be working, so the only solution I have found is to copy and paste the photos I want - which is a lengthy business, 10 minutes to copy 30 pics. I don't believe Apple when they say it has never been possible. Absolute nonsense. I am very disappointed, they are almost as bad as Microsoft in their disregard for their run-of-the-mill customers like me.

Feb 22, 2021 7:12 AM in response to 6phon

I the same error message when trying to drag the video or photo to my Dell Laptop running windows 10. I have an iPhone soo I use the iCloud.

Here’s what to do: select the video or photo, right click, select COPY, rest the cursor on the folder where you want to put it, right click, select PASTE. It’s now there.

The reason for this is that the file remains in iCloud, which is a good thing. It’s always there safe! You care just copying it to another place!

Sep 7, 2020 6:57 AM in response to 6phon

Hi 6phon,

We understand that you're currently unable to move your image files from iCloud to your PC, and we'll get you pointed in the right direction for help. The error you're seeing appears to be from the Windows operating system. To ensure a resolution is found, we encourage you to contact Microsoft Support here:

Microsoft Support

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best regards!

Apr 26, 2021 11:31 AM in response to 6phon

Great ideas.

I see that noone mentioned that you can actually draw each photo by hand and then scan it to a new location.

Seriously now though, it is a "funny" issue. I guess Apple prefers users to buy extra space rather than copy their photos to another service. Coping to a new folder works ok, albeit a bit slow. Deleting the files takes forever.

I suspect it's faster to delete the files from the icloud website, despite the fact that I have requested all files to be locally in my icloud-fotos folder.

Sep 7, 2020 10:27 AM in response to ryane77

Strange that I don't get it in any other directories...?

I have also found that I actually have two directories for icloud - one is in my documents areas and has subdirectories. I renamed this but any photos still get copied to it as well as to the other icloud directory - does this shed any light on the problem?

Jan 9, 2021 12:08 PM in response to 4girl1der

@4girl1der

I've also tried your above approach and this dose not work, windows 10 still throws the same 0x8007017B error code. seems Apple don't want people to have the flexibility they require when dealing with ones media!! Apples media organisation system is horrendous, I'm sick and tired of having multiple images/videos all over the place, in the cloud, on my phone and on my pc!!

The only way I have found to have MY pictures/videos on my pc is to download from the cloud using icloud.com. I select the relevant pictures/videos I require to be downloaded. these are then downloaded as zip file. I un-zip the file to my required directory on my pc and there I have it, my data. to delete the downloaded files I then have to go to icloud.com and delete the downloaded pictures/videos from there! what a bloody ball ache!!! whilst I've deleted them from the iCloud, they are then removed from the iCloud folder on my pc, but! they DO NOT get removed from my iPhone!! wtf!!

oh, and to upload 80 files takes 15 hours, wtf is that about.. come on Apple, your taking billions from people, sort it out...

error 0x8007017B

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.