Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! I resented IMovie and I still get this message from IMovie: Publishing to YouTube Failed: The operation couldn’t be completed. (HTTP method not allowed)

Has anyone has had this issue? Something I have done that might've contributed is that I went into the iMovie library and right click to show content and deleted a couple of folders of projects (only) because of low memory issue - when I opened iMovie it would said "damage library" giving me the option to repair. I did that during a few days - (I'm not sure is the most effective way to clear the library big boys original media afiles that are using sometimes a few Gigabytes by themselves). So I did biz as usual except that now I cannot upload to youtube - it gives me the same message.

Help!?

Posted on Sep 6, 2020 3:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2020 9:44 AM

Hi, zuirly,

Yes, as you have found, you must never delete anything from the iMovie Library Show Package Contents. The folders in there contain data and codes that allow the iMovie app to assemble and play the projects. Changing things in the Show Package Contents folder runs the risk of corrupting the library. Fortunately you were able to repair the library, as I understand your post.

You delete files from iMovie by opening iMovie and then clicking on the Event name in the media sidebar of the Event that contains the clip you want to delete, then control clicking on the clip that appears in the media browser and select Delete Media from Event.

Another way is to select the clip in the timeline or in the media browser and do a File/Reveal in Finder. An Original Media pop up folder will appear with the name highlighted of the clip that you selected. You can delete the clip from the Original Media folder.

Note, however, that deleting media from the iMovie library will delete it from all projects that may be using that media, thus effectively disabling the project. A better option is to store your iMovie library on an external drive, with plenty of free space, that is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). If you have to reformat the drive be aware that reformatting erases all data on the drive, so back up any data that you want to keep.

As for You Tube rejecting your direct upload from iMovie, that could be because You Tube has not upgraded its online loader to keep pace with iMovie's recent updates. You should be able to share your project to your desktop, and then open You Tube and drag the video into You Tube's upload window. That's the most reliable way to upload to You Tube.

-- Rich

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2020 9:44 AM in response to zurily

Hi, zuirly,

Yes, as you have found, you must never delete anything from the iMovie Library Show Package Contents. The folders in there contain data and codes that allow the iMovie app to assemble and play the projects. Changing things in the Show Package Contents folder runs the risk of corrupting the library. Fortunately you were able to repair the library, as I understand your post.

You delete files from iMovie by opening iMovie and then clicking on the Event name in the media sidebar of the Event that contains the clip you want to delete, then control clicking on the clip that appears in the media browser and select Delete Media from Event.

Another way is to select the clip in the timeline or in the media browser and do a File/Reveal in Finder. An Original Media pop up folder will appear with the name highlighted of the clip that you selected. You can delete the clip from the Original Media folder.

Note, however, that deleting media from the iMovie library will delete it from all projects that may be using that media, thus effectively disabling the project. A better option is to store your iMovie library on an external drive, with plenty of free space, that is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). If you have to reformat the drive be aware that reformatting erases all data on the drive, so back up any data that you want to keep.

As for You Tube rejecting your direct upload from iMovie, that could be because You Tube has not upgraded its online loader to keep pace with iMovie's recent updates. You should be able to share your project to your desktop, and then open You Tube and drag the video into You Tube's upload window. That's the most reliable way to upload to You Tube.

-- Rich

Sep 6, 2020 5:03 PM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich,

thank you so much for the reply!! Well, that's what I saw on a video to delete - so, you are saying I should only delete the original media but not the whole folder of the project?

That's what I ended up doing, saving it to file and then uploading to YT, however, I was wondering because it creates more steps = more time than the direct upload to youtube. So, is there any other way I can repair iMovie? In the App Store it says available to update, but when I click on it I only get the thing to spin and it won't upgrade :(

Sep 7, 2020 8:56 AM in response to zurily

You can try this procedure to update:

Updating

iMovie

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your

iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the

trash. (You can skip that step if you had iMovie 10 on your computer before,

but deleted it.) Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by

clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. (NOTE: For El

Capitan and older, click on the Purchases tab at the top of the app store

screen and then sign in. Click on Purchases again to reveal your

purchases.)  You will see your purchases

displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not

successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if you moved it

there) and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

Help! I resented IMovie and I still get this message from IMovie: Publishing to YouTube Failed: The operation couldn’t be completed. (HTTP method not allowed)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.