Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Catalina does not currently create thumbnails for .PSB files in finder.

hey

please help me with this

while working with photoshop in finder all psd file thumbnail is shows perfectly but,

macOS Catalina does not create thumbnails for .PSB files in finder.

its very irritating when you have all files saved in psd while do the compositing or retouching work in tastes 2020 cc photoshop.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 6, 2020 5:45 AM

13 replies

Sep 6, 2020 10:04 AM in response to yogesh198

For a very long time, the Mac OS would not display a Finder icon for .psb files. Users had to resort to this third party plugin to get one.

That should no longer be the case. While I don't create files that large very often (more than 30,000 pixels in the height or width, or the resulting file exceeds 2 GB in size), I did some testing just now to check.

I opened several randomly selected files and saved them in .psb format. All show a desktop icon, an icon in the Open dialogue box in PS 2020, and in the Get Info preview field. This with sizes anywhere from small (less than 3 MB to a single layered 2.77 GB image that exceeds 56,000 pixels in both directions, to a 3.22 GB multilayered file.

You may have something installed that is preventing this from working. Create a new test account and login to that. See if it behaves the same way there, or if it shows icons.

Sep 6, 2020 11:30 AM in response to yogesh198

I went further (a lot further).

Old Toad covered something I entirely forgot to mention, and this info has radically changed as to how it works in Catalina. It used to be in order to get a desktop icon at all for layered file with no Background layer, you had to have Maximize PSD and PSB File Compatibility set to Always.

Rule number 1: If you want to always get an icon of a PSD or PSB file, it must have a Background layer. It also must be the only layer in the file. And that's even if you have Adobe's file handling settings on Previews set to Never, Thumbnail off, and Compatibility set to Never. You will still get a desktop icon and preview. And all apps I tested will import an icon (such as the NeoFinder cataloging software).

After that, the "rules" are all over the place.

With all options in PS still off, as soon as you add a second layer, or change the single Background to a floating layer, you get a jumbled mess like this for an icon and preview:

With Adobe's Previews set to Always, and Thumbnail on, you then get a desktop icon. But a preview in PS's Open dialogue box, the Get Info preview, and what apps like NeoFinder import looks like the scrambled mess above.

In the reverse (and you'd think this wouldn't work), if you have Preview and Thumbnail off, but Compatibility on, you still get a desktop icon, preview, and apps like NeoFinder see and import a correct image for PSD and PSB files.

For JPEGs or TIFFs, none of Adobe's settings need to be on at all to get a desktop icon, preview in the Open dialogue boxes, or imported to another app where you'd want it to store an image icon (NeoFinder being my example again).

So at minimum - when using Photoshop - Compatibility must be set to Always. Having it this way doesn't guarantee all apps will display a preview in their respective Open dialogue boxes since no preview or icon is saved with the image.

To cover all the bases, you must have Previews set to Always, Thumbnail on, and Compatibility set to Always.

Sep 6, 2020 5:55 AM in response to yogesh198

Photoshop 2020 creates the .psb files, not macOS Catalina's Finder. If you want to open an existing .psb file, either use the Open file menu from Photoshop 2020, or right-click on any .psb file in the Finder, press Get Info (cmd+i), and in that panel's Opens With section, set it to Photoshop 2020 and click through the Change All… button.

You should now be able to double-click any .psb file and have Photoshop 2020 open it.

Sep 6, 2020 8:24 AM in response to VikingOSX

thanks for the reply

I wonder since years they work with adobe photoshop, every keynote while launching any new os or new thing the fist show adobe software first & apple also present in adobe's software launch event shows their this software works with apple first then with other. how could be this possible? I wonder ....

this might be some bug. not compressing psd file image in thumbnail to preview in finder....

Sep 6, 2020 1:07 PM in response to Kurt Lang

One more thing in this need to add that. if I delete some of my layers from the file till the PSB file size came to 2 GB & magic happens it shoes the preview perfectly in big thumbnail size.🤦‍♂️ it works with all the PSB file size unto 2GB preview works perfectly fine in finder window.

so it sounds like bug or some issue with photoshop or macOS ?

macOS Catalina does not currently create thumbnails for .PSB files in finder.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.