Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thumbnail Preview not working right after updating to Catalina

I updated my late 2012 iMac to Catalina last night. Now my Thumbnail Previews aren't really working. Only a few will show up in each folder. Like maybe 4 out of 40. The rest just say JPEG or PSD. Any idea why this is happening and what can I do to fix it?

Thanks

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 1:31 PM

14 replies

Dec 4, 2020 2:05 PM in response to Old Toad

I still had the issue when booting in safe mode and still when booting again regularly.

I didn't have ANY issues before updating from High Sierra to Catalina. I only did the update because Photoshop CC wouldn't update without a newer version. Is it possible my computer just can't take Catalina? Should I try Mojave, or maybe try reloading Catalina?

Dec 4, 2020 1:51 PM in response to mstg46

Boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Thumbnail Preview not working right after updating to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.