Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop the web site pop ups on ipad mail

When reading the NY Times and other content in iPas email, if I let my finger linger too long on the content, A web page pops up, taking half the screen and is very difficult to close.How can I keep this from happening? It is extremely aggravating.

Posted on Sep 6, 2020 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2020 4:22 PM

There is a distinction between a simple “tap” and a “long touch” - these being different gestures for the touch-based User Interface (UI) employed by iOS/iPadOS.

What you are seeing is the long-touch gesture - which, when triggered, opens both a preview of an embedded link and an Action Menu.

It is possible (although not recommended) to inhibit the preview function by globally disabling Multitasking on your iPad - but this effectively neuters much of the advanced functionality of your iPad:

Settings > Home Screen & Dock > Multi Tasking >

• Allow Multiple Apps - set to OFF
  • Gestures - set to OFF
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2020 4:22 PM in response to jred922

There is a distinction between a simple “tap” and a “long touch” - these being different gestures for the touch-based User Interface (UI) employed by iOS/iPadOS.

What you are seeing is the long-touch gesture - which, when triggered, opens both a preview of an embedded link and an Action Menu.

It is possible (although not recommended) to inhibit the preview function by globally disabling Multitasking on your iPad - but this effectively neuters much of the advanced functionality of your iPad:

Settings > Home Screen & Dock > Multi Tasking >

• Allow Multiple Apps - set to OFF
  • Gestures - set to OFF

How do I stop the web site pop ups on ipad mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.