You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ignore built-in keyboard if external keyboard is connected

The built-in keyboard on my MacBook Pro is defective and it sends a signal that the power button is constantly being pressed. So when you turn on the MacBook, it will shut down again immediately. If you press "cmd", the on / off signal cannot be sent. That way I can use the MacBook, but it's no fun ... If I could ignore the built-in keyboard and work with an external keyboard, that problem would be solved. In Settings, you can ignore the trackpad when a mouse is connected to the Mac, but I couldn't find the same thing for the keyboard.

Can someone help?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 6, 2020 1:57 PM

6 replies

Sep 19, 2020 12:47 PM in response to louisbrunner

You can't get to the Terminal, and that feature is not available there anyway.

If you could get set up for Closed display mode, you could use that. But I doubt you can get that to work either.

Use your Mac notebook computer in closed-display mode with an external display - Apple Support

You must meet ALL the prerequisites, or closing the display puts the Mac to sleep instead..

Ignore built-in keyboard if external keyboard is connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.