Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External drive showing when not connected

I have a Macbook pro which shows an external USB disk drive is connected when it is not.

Finder prefs extn drive unchecked. This seems opposite to what everyone else is asking!!

How can I get rid of indication when drive disconnected.

Thanks

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 12:30 PM

Is this external drive WiFi capable? The reason I ask is because it may be connected to your MacBook via WiFi and perhaps at startup. If it is NOT WiFi capable and still shows connected even when it is physically disconnected then try the following-

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM

Axel F.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2020 12:30 PM in response to Brian UK

Is this external drive WiFi capable? The reason I ask is because it may be connected to your MacBook via WiFi and perhaps at startup. If it is NOT WiFi capable and still shows connected even when it is physically disconnected then try the following-

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM

Axel F.

External drive showing when not connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.