Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Max Ethernet speed

I have a late 2009 model iMac. The link speed on Network Utility says 100 MBPS.

From this thread I see that that is the limit on my iMac. Is there a way to upgrade this to use the Giga speed I have with ATT?

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 10:53 AM

Assuming the specific router/switch box involved here is 1000 Mbps gigabit-capable (check that)...

Swap the existing Ethernet patch cable for new or known-good Cat6-rated cable...

As you’re potentially either using an older Cat 3-rated cable (for 10 Mpbs Ethernet 10BASE-T), or the Cat-5e or Cat-6 cable you’re using is damaged and falling back to 100 Mbps Fast Ethernet speeds, or the cable is mis-wired.

I wouldn’t use any Ethernet cabling rated below Cat 6 these days.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2020 10:53 AM in response to Rodimus Prime

Assuming the specific router/switch box involved here is 1000 Mbps gigabit-capable (check that)...

Swap the existing Ethernet patch cable for new or known-good Cat6-rated cable...

As you’re potentially either using an older Cat 3-rated cable (for 10 Mpbs Ethernet 10BASE-T), or the Cat-5e or Cat-6 cable you’re using is damaged and falling back to 100 Mbps Fast Ethernet speeds, or the cable is mis-wired.

I wouldn’t use any Ethernet cabling rated below Cat 6 these days.

Sep 7, 2020 3:10 PM in response to Rodimus Prime

Cat 8? FWIW, anything past Cat 6 is unnecessary with Gigabit Ethernet.

Cat 6a cabling is nice to have, if you’re planning to maybe eventually upgrade to 10 GbE. But Cat 6 will work with 10 GbE out to ~55m.

Cat 8 is intended for server racks and data centers, and part of 25 GbE and 40 GbE networking, and some similarly expensive local switching.

Apple has no Mac available with support for 25 GbE.

Only a few of Macs support 10 GbE, and this iMac Late 2009 is not among those: Use 10Gb Ethernet with your Mac - Apple Support

Sep 7, 2020 11:08 AM in response to Allan Jones

The provider is ATT. I am paying for Giga speeds. Good to know the iMac has Gigabit capability. I wonder if it is the cable as @mrhoffman has stated.

The router is provided by ATT and replace just few weeks ago. So it is Gigabit. I am using an ATT Extender they provided to have better speeds. So that should also be Gigabit capable. I will check with them again. The only flaw I see could possible be is the cable. I am using the one I got years ago with my Xbox 360.

Sep 7, 2020 11:31 AM in response to Rodimus Prime

I’fe also occasionally seen bent pins in and debris in Ethernet sockets, and that can have the same effect as a bad patch cable.

Don’t conflate your ISP-claimed uplink speeds with the hardware speeds using the installed hardware.

I and others have also encountered cases with lower-spec hardware provided by the ISP or another entity, too.

And encountered simply mis-wired or failed hardware.

When in doubt, swap for a known-good Cat 6.

iMac Max Ethernet speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.