Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet speed

I am trying to figure out the max speed of my iMac ethernet card. The iMac is a late 2012 27" model. The ethernet firmware is 7766a-v1.15. The card is supposedly GigE, I think. Anyone know how to check the speed of the card?

My cable provider is trying to get me to upgrade my modem (Surfboard SB6141) to a DOCSIS 3.1 32x8 device. Ookla Speedtest reports download speeds of 270-280 Mbps. I think a new modem is a waste of money. But knowing my hardware capability may change the equation.

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 7:10 PM

2 replies

Sep 27, 2018 2:51 PM in response to DesertRatR

I am trying to figure out the max speed of my iMac ethernet card. The iMac is a late 2012 27" model. The ethernet firmware is 7766a-v1.15. The card is supposedly GigE, I think. Anyone know how to check the speed of the card?

Try the following:

• Hold down the option key, and then, click on the Apple logo in the upper-left corner of the macOS menu bar.
  • Click on System Information...
  • From the System Information menu bar, select Window > Network Utility
  • Click on the Info tab to select it.
  • Select Ethernet (en0) under "Select a network interface for information"
  • Look at the value for Link Speed. If it's 1 Gbit/s, then your Mac has a Gigabit Ethernet card/port.

Ethernet speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.